Sunday, June 22, 2008

Nearing the end...

Well, it's been a long time. A lot has happened!

Gavin and Angela left the farm, the biggest picnic ever was a success with 49 people I didn't know attend, we built a new movable greenhouse, I planted tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, eggplants, tomatillos, and basil in greenhouses, I also planted 16 rows of corn along with both summer and winter squash, spent a day on a farm in east sooke and learned about dairy cows and how to make cheese, keifer, and yogurt in exchange for shoveling tons of wheelbarrows full of cow manure, my brother, Nick, and his friends visited me, had the first and last harvest of my carrots (56 bunches at 8oz each), the pigs became pork, visited my cousins on Lasgueti island, and made the decision to leave the farm!

Yup, that's right...it's time. I've been feeling a bit lonely and isolated the past few months (I'm such a social creature who loves people!). And although I love the farm and the lifestyle I've been living, I think it is time for the next chapter in the life of Natalie Constance Brubaker. It is really hard to leave in the middle of the season, but I have been here a full year. I really miss the landscape of the east coast...and especially the trees that live there. I didn't realize how important pines, dogwoods, maples, tulip poplars, hickories, walnuts, beech, hop hornbeam, and oaks are to me...and that rancid peanut butter smell of the Kentucky coffee tree. The trees have really developed a sense of place for me and I think it is time to return. Not to say that I don't love the douglas furs, cedars, and arbutus trees of the west coast...but it is just not where I belong.

I will be returning to Atlanta the middle of July...but more about that later. Check out my pictures!


Que guapo! How handsome! Greenhouse building.



Pulling the plastic on the greenhouse.



Me and my boys G-vinny (that's his rapper name I gave him) and Coolindell(just cause it's cool) - a good team.



Gavin and Angela (Gavin has issues with the sun...he doesn't normally look like that)



Exactly 49 people showed up to the picnic!



Marika, Holger, and I



The pigs before their big day-o-death.



The pigs finally graduated to pork.



Squash new born



Squash toddler



Squash adolescent



The Three Amigos









The Flirtacious Poppy (makes me weak in the knees!)



Lush Lupin Leaf



Radishes in all their glory


Saturday morning bouquets

2 comments:

Davin said...

Once upon a time there was an overly rotund boy named Drew who was terrorized (and terrorized in return) three little girls.

I have no idea what the heck it was about the music I was listening to when I went to sleep last night, but somehow you ended up in my dreams.

Being the obsessive information freak that I am, I had to hit up Google once I realized that I remembered the last names of Francesca and Grace, but was having a little trouble with yours. I think I found ya, otherwise I'm making a fool of myself, but oh well. :D

It seems like you've been doing some pretty cool things with life since getting out of school, and that's certainly good to know. I'm the sentimental sort, so even if my dropping by this blog was the consequence of information obsession, I had to at least say something. You're welcome to write back, fair is fair! I don't use my Blogger account as much as I'd like, so e-mail is probably better.

a (bowling without the w) (at) gmail.com

Unknown said...

It's been a long time since the last time we saw each other... a long time since we shared words. I don't know where you are and how life has treated you but I will always remember your laugh. Atlanta had some joys for me and you were part of it.
by chance, I found this blog... chance is rarely meaningful... but if it somehow it has some meaning, I leave this words in your blog with the hope that you read them and know that I remember you and hope that everything is well and life joyful.
cares,
Omar
oec5(at)cornell.com